- Grails, Groovy, Amazon EC2 computing
- Gstreamer, MPF, Speech Recognition, Video Activity Detection
- Web-services technologies (SOAP/WSDL/XML/XSLT/XMLSchema, etc.)
- Open-Source (Ant, Axis, Eclipse, Freemarker, JBoss, Jetty, Struts, XMLBeans etc.)
- Spring framework and Security infrastructure
- RDF data modeling and query technologies
- J2EE application server technology (EJB, JMS, JCA, JNDI, Struts/JSP, etc.)
- Grid programming
- Object-Oriented analysis, architecture, design, implementation and test
- TCP/UDP/IP networking and sockets programming
- Java, C, C++, Ada, assembler programming
- Real-time Operating Systems (RTOS)
- Real-time and non real-time multi-threaded programming
- Recursive descent and other parsing technologies
- Agile Programming methods (rapid-prototyping, iterative development, TDD)
- Control systems design, systems identification and audio signal processing
- Simulations: continuous-time, discrete-time, discrete-event
|2008-2010||Appscio Inc, Freedom, CA |
|2006-2008||Altera Corporation, San Jose, CA |
|2004-2006||Siderean Software Inc., El Segundo, CA. |
Senior Software Engineer
- Worked as a member of technical staff in the engineering department, on a number of critical technologies for the flagship Seamark Navigator product. Developed the Seamark 3.6 UI based on XML/XSLT, and incorporated new features. From requirements to full prototype in one week.
Result: Immediate impact on the product.
- Architect for a Spring-based component and security model for the next generation Seamark 4.0. Design included the ability to run without Spring for testing purposes. Security model was orthogonal to component model, allowing it to be transparently added to the product without disturbing existing code.
Result: Fully functional component and security models.
- Rapid response to customer need for logging. Customer made data-logging a requirement for closing a deal, I designed and implemented this feature in three weeks from first notice to ship.
Result: deal closed, revenue generated.
- Implemented new mashup technology for visualization of RDF relationships based on Freemarker and JFreeChart.
Result: new graphical display capabilities for otherwise tabular data.
|2000-2003||Lutris Technologies Inc (Gridion) Santa Cruz, CA |
Senior Staff Engineer
- Member of engineering team that created the J2EE Lutris Enhydra Application Server. Major areas of development included the deployment subsystem and classloaders. First to deploy and debug the J2EE Pet Store application on this platform. Conceived the idea for a 'restart' product based on Grid technologies. Developed the basic Grid-based computing platform concept and 'sold' it to the team. Created rapid-prototype of system, and handed off to the engineering team for implementation. Created rapid-prototype of Job Submission Language (JSL) by heavily leveraging the open-source Ant project. JSL allows for programmatic-control of jobs as they are executing on the Gridion platform and has become the pivotal API in the product.
Result: Lutris was able to re-start as Gridion Inc., after laying off all but a core team of 5 engineers and 2 executives, instead of filing for bankruptcy.
- Created fully-working prototype of Grid-based XML accelerator (based on XSLT). As part of due-diligence proceedings, a Venture Capitalist (VC) required proof of concept for an XML/XSLT accelerator based on our Gridion platform. Under extreme time pressure I designed and produced a fully working prototype, and performed tests and analysis of data to demonstrate potential ROI for customers of this system, with actual linear speedup up to 16 processors.
Result: successfully convinced lead VC to continue with Gridion.
|1997-2000||Octant Technologies Inc, Sunnyvale, CA |
Co-Founder and Systems Architect
|1990-1997||Integrated Systems Inc, Sunnyvale, CA |
|1995||Borland Interactive, Scotts Valley, CA |
ATLAS Team Manager
- Management of a team of four engineers on the Atlas project, part of a rich-content email delivery system
|1989-1990||Ready Systems, Inc, Sunnyvale, CA|
Senior Ada Engineer
- Integration of the Telesoft Ada environment with the Ready Systems VRTX real-time embedded operating system.
|1985-1989||Alcoa Technical Center, Pittsburgh, PA |
Staff Control Engineer
- Control systems design and implementation, software development, real-time systems development, signal processing.
D.Phil (Ph.D), Control Systems (1984) University of Oxford, UK.
Studied under Prof. D.W. Clarke. Research thesis: "Self-Tuning Control Systems: Algorithms and Applications".
Originator and co-developer of "Generalized Predictive Control widely recognized as a breakthrough in practical applicability of adaptive/predictive control. Search for "tuffs+generalized+predictive+control" in any search engine.
B.Eng, Electrical and Electronic Engineering (1981) University of Liverpool, UK.
Graduated with highest honors in class.
Professional references (with email and phone number contact information) available on request.
Past member of Toastmasters International, now an experienced public speaker.